Saturday, July 21, 2012

A Firey End to an Epic Trilogy.

Film: The Dark Knight Rises
Year: 2012
Director: Christopher Nolan
Written by: Christopher Nolan and Jonathan Nolan
Starring: Christian Bale, Tom Hardy, Anne Hathaway, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman, Marion Cotillard, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Liam Neeson, Cillian Murphy, Juno Temple.
Running time: 164 min.

Let me be straight-forward from the start: The Dark Knight Rises is the biggest film-event of my life so far. Sure, I've only had 16 years for films to compete for that title, but this film takes the cake by a long shot. That is not to say that The Dark Knight Rises is my favourite film ever. I honestly don't think it will have the mass effect that The Dark Knight had, with it making it's way to the top of IMDb's top 250 or anything like that. Simply put, The Dark Knight Rises isn't as good as The Dark Knight. But there's no denying that this is a grand-scale finish to what is probably the best trilogy of films that I have ever seen. The only problem that I have is that now the trilogy is all over. I guess that I can now properly understand how all of those Harry Potter fans felt when their series came to a close this time last year. Even though Christopher Nolan's Batman franchise and I didn't get off to the most conventional start, I can't help but feel a little nostalgic over the way The Dark Knight changed my perception of films when I was just about to leave primary school. Now I'm nearly on the precipice of leaving high school, The Dark Knight Rises has come along and reminded me of why I love Nolan's take on Batman, why I love Nolan's films in general, and why I love going to the cinemas. However, Nolan's closing the door on his Batman, even though he's leaving the door somewhat open for someone else to pick it up. Which I hope isn't the case, because I don't think anyone can do the superhero genre better than Nolan. Hell, this guy invented his own genre.


Nolan's Batman trilogy has been rife with themes that you wouldn't expect to come along in a movie about a guy dressing up as a bat, along with gritty realism and actual relevance between the fictional Gotham and the world we live in today. The Dark Knight Rises is no exception. The film opens eight years after the events of The Dark Knight, with Harvey Dent's 'murder' and the supposed 'murderer' Batman being present in the otherwise peaceful Gotham. Bruce Wayne (Christian Bale) is in hiding after everything that had happened in The Dark Knight, living as a recluse with only his trusty butler Alfred Pennyworth (Michael Caine) to keep him company. However, while Gotham is living in peace and without Batman, a terrorist called Bane (Tom Hardy) comes to town and plans to destroy Gotham. This brings Bruce Wayne out of hiding and back into the Bat costume, with the hope of saving the city that he holds dear.


One thing that struck me about The Dark Knight Rises was how relevant it was. In many instances, the events of this film may feel a little too far from happening, but the havoc that Bane unleashes on Gotham is something that isn't too far from reality. Would we need a man who dresses up to deliver justice? It sounds like an insane idea, but Nolan makes it seem completely normal. That comes through most prominently in this film, considering Batman is barely present. Instead of dwelling on Batman delivering justice, we get to see the man behind the mask wondering why he feels the need to put that mask on. The Dark Knight Rises is probably the most emotionally charged film of the series, and probably one of the most emotionally charged blockbuster spectacles ever. We see Bruce Wayne fall time and time again, and while we shouldn't understand why he continues to try and rise above his failures, thanks to Bale's dedicated performance and the way Nolan crafts the character, we do. Needless to say, I was crying quite heavily towards the end - who knew that one rich guy with a whole lot of gadgets could be so inspiring?


Even though we don't see a lot of Bruce Wayne or Batman like we have in the other films, there are some great performances filling the film around him. Tom Hardy is terrifying as Bane, who loses points for not craving the same anarchy or chaos as the Joker, but is definitely more calculated with his actions. Hardy is an imposing figure, with pretty much the figure of a human hulk. He's also an imposing presence on screen, as well, who for once leads us to fear for Batman's physical safety. Not all superheroes can be invincible, and Bane definitely proves that. Along with Bane, we have new arrivals Miranda Tate and John Blake played by Marion Cotillard and Joseph Gordon-Levitt respectively, who turn in marvellous performances. Returning actors Gary Oldman, Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman all add points to their 'legend' cards (I just imagine they have those) with their heartfelt performances closing out the trilogy brilliantly. Both Liam Neeson and Cillian Murphy both make small appearances, thus making the ties between The Dark Knight Rises and Batman Begins a lot stronger than the ties between the second and third films. But it is Anne Hathaway who steals the show with her cool, multi-faceted take on Selina Kyle/Catwoman. She fits into Gotham seamlessly, kicking ass like no woman ever has on film, and commands the screen even if we're never quite sure of her agenda. Anyone who doubted her capability for a role like this needs to get their ass kicked by Hathaway, and then they'll be sorry.


The Dark Knight Rises may be a shade disappointing (and there are a few minor flaws) considering the lead up, but it is still a beyond fantastic film. Christopher Nolan's ability to make these wonderful spectacles that fill up a cinema is something beyond my comprehension. I do hope that this gives him the Academy love he deserves, not only for this film itself, but for the entire trilogy. If he doesn't, I guess it really doesn't matter. This man, who avoids CGI where he can, doesn't believe in 3D and shoots on film as opposed to digital, has not only continued on the legend of cinema, but has also expanded on the old-fashioned ideals and given them a modern twist. And that's the beauty of his work - which is ever present in his latest masterpiece.

What I got:

25 comments:

  1. The biggest film event of your life so far? Sheesh, that's high fucking praise for a movie that's not your favourite of all time (for me, the biggest event of my filmgoing life was seeing my favourite movie for the first time). I'll definitely be seeing this in the theatre then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really see a 'film event' as sitting at home watching a DVD. Plus, the first time I watched my favourite movie wasn't really an exciting experience - it took a while before I actually decided that I liked the movie enough for it to be my favourite. And definitely see this in the theatre. There's no other way to watch it, I'm afraid.

      Delete
    2. What is your favorite movie, Stevee?

      Delete
  2. biggest film event of your life? Really? We can't really afford to go to the cinema that much, so I don't actually think I've had something that could fill that role for me. I really think that I will be disappointed by this though. No one will ever top Ledger's Joker, which even topped Jack Nicholson's Joker. However, it is still one of the few films that I am definitely going to see, although, Django Unchained is my most anticipated film of this year, although, here in England, it doesn't come out until January.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably will be disappointed by this, but it was a great movie in my opinion. Looper is my most anticipated now, so I can spend the rest of the year being excited for Django Unchained.

      Delete
  3. I'm so exited for Saturday!!!! The biggest cinema event of my life was Avatar or Inception. I fucking hate Avatar but I'll be goddamned if I did not feel like I was completely in another universe. And Inception, well, you know about Inception. My most anticipated of the year is surprisingly not this. Its The Master. The trailer came out today and it looks so fucking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Master looks good, but I haven't even seen the trailer yet. I'm so blase about trailers these days!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review, Stevee. It's a real shame that asshole in Colorado has put a dark shadow over the film's opening. I mean, THE DARK KNIGHT RISES has made $30.6m purely from early morning screenings so it isn't doing too badly, but along with the festering hate and death threats coming from those keyboard warriors over at Rotten Tomatoes, everyone's spirits are pretty low.

    I don't know if you'd heard, but since the tragedy in Colorado, Warner Bros. has pulled the trailer for GANGSTER SQUAD from showing before the film. It shows four of the main characters barging their way through a cinema screen, pumping rounds into the audience. Profoundly inappropriate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had heard that. That's fair enough. I think they're reworking Gangster Squad or something so that scene isn't so prominent - it's a real shame that that has to happen.

      Spirits are low around this film. Which is a right shame, because it is such a good film.

      Delete
    2. I really hope that scene isn't cut from the Gangster Sqaud film. I can understand taking it out of the trailer, but if it gets cut of the film it will feel like fear won to me

      Delete
  6. I understand exactly what you mean about the biggest cinematic even of your life (so far!) We all know how much you love Nolan :) , and it's the ending of an epic trilogy! So much hype! I'm sure in the future there will be films to top it, but for the time being, this is THE event. I'm sorry you found it a shade disappointing, the key word being 'shade' however - it really was an awesome way to end it, and I loved Bane (even though no one could ever top Heath Ledger's Joker for a villain).
    Hmm...what would be the biggest cinematic event of my life? Either The Return of the King (Tolkien fan for life!) or Deathly Hallows Part 2, because I was so invested in those stories and characters. I grew up with Potter, and Middle Earth is my favourite fantasy. This is probably why the Hobbit will be the cinematic event of the year for me. Great review!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I wish more people understood why I love Nolan so much!

      I feel so bad because I was so late to the LOTR and Harry Potter trains. I am quite excited for The Hobbit, though!

      Delete
  7. Great review! I seriously wanted to cheer when Liam Neeson turned up, I already knew he'd be in there somewhere, but it was still so nice to see. I think The Dark Knight is still my favorite for The Joker, but this was is not far behind. I just loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I was literally punching my friend going "IT'S DADDY!" I was also surprised to see Cillian Murphy, since for some reason or another this film wasn't listed on his IMDb page.

      Delete
  8. I guess this is sort of like to you what Harry Potter ending to me felt, because along with it being my childhood and all that, it was also what first got me into movies.
    It was a very well-made film, though with more blaring flaws than its predecessors. Still the level of enjoyment, or a general engaging power, which had me holding my breath or covering my face or clapping or almost crying, was phenomenal.
    Love Hathaway as Selena Kyle! Love Gordon and Blake and Fox and Alfred and Batman too. Bane looked like he could be a brilliant villain at the start, but the final revelation about him has me questioning that.
    Still one helluva movie!
    Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah, that's what I said somewhere in this mess of a review!

      It is flawed, but it was really cool nonetheless. I think I'd enjoy it more on a second watch.

      HATHAWAY! FUCK YES!

      Delete
  9. Great review Stevee, I too am glad he didn't go w/ the 3D route and chose the IMAX format instead. It looks beautiful on screen and combined with a compelling story, it's certainly a recipe for cinematic greatness! I do have some issues w/ it though, so to me, it's not a perfect film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't a perfect film, but hey, Chris Nolan did good! And we all know that's a good thing.

      Delete
  10. I don't consider it disappointing at all. To me, this movie is the best of the trilogy and you know how difficult I am to satisfy ;) I think if the movie had ended about 2 or 3 minutes earlier, it would have been pretty much perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I have as much love for Hathaways' turn as Selina as you did, Stevee, but I loved this film as much as you did. I doubt it'll score the Oscar you hope it does (although Nolan could win for Best Director) because of its flaws, but in terms of bringing this trilogy to an epic conclusion, I doubt we could have asked for anything more. Nice review!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't seen this yet -- I'm looking forward to seeing Anne Hathaway kicking ass like no woman ever has on film. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was my favorite of the trilogy. I actually thought it was a better conclusion than The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King was. Of course, I'm probably in the minority there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always love to see you so excited, but I'm actually kinda glad to see you didn't think it was perfect, considering your massive love for Nolan- I didn't like it that much either, you'll probably not like my review :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, it was one of my biggest film events in my life, too, if not the biggest. It's because I've been interested in movies for only a few years but also because the film was so good. And it was indeed emotionally charged and I had no idea that it can be that inspiring either! It's hard to believe but it seems to me that I love it equally with TDK and Inception.

    ReplyDelete

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails