Sunday, March 4, 2012

100 Things the Movies Have Taught Me

I was inspired by a couple of posts to compile a list of 100 quotes that stuck with me after watching the movies that they belonged to. I like compiling lists, and this seemed like a good one to do. The answers to what movies the quotes belong to is in white, so you'll have to highlight them in case you get stuck.
(NOTE: There won't be any 'Underrated Showcase Sunday' this weekend. I have many ideas and only so many days to do them, so it got shafted)

1. We are supposed to be righteous. That's a beautiful thing. And we're losing it. If I lose that, that's everything. That's my soul. Munich
2. The nuns taught us there were two ways through life - the way of nature and the way of grace. You have to choose which one you'll follow. Grace doesn't try to please itself. Accepts being slighted, forgotten, disliked. Accepts insults and injuries. Nature only wants to please itself. Get others to please it too. Likes to lord it over them. To have its own way. It finds reasons to be unhappy when all the world is shining around it. And love is smiling through all things. The nuns taught us that no one who loves the way of grace ever comes to a bad end. The Tree of Life
3. Every parting from you is like a little eternity. Waterloo Bridge
4. Cabbage has a cabbage smell. Meet Me in St. Louis


5. I've stood on the shoulders of life and I've never gotten down into the dirt to build, to erect a foundation of my own. I've flown too high on borrowed wings. Everything came too easy. Quiz Show
6. I've got the guts to die. What I want to know is, have you got the guts to live? Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
7. Don't forget, a great impression of simplicity can only be achieved by great agony of body and spirit. The Red Shoes
8. This song of the Man and his Wife is of no place and every place; you might hear it anywhere, at any time. For wherever the sun rises and sets, in the city's turmoil or under the open sky on the farm, life is much the same; sometimes bitter, sometimes sweet. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
9. No subject is terrible if the story is true, if the prose is clean and honest, and if it affirms courage and grace under pressure. Midnight in Paris
10. You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. Inception


11. Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration? Pulp Fiction
12. You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain. The Dark Knight
13. I like how you can compliment and insult somebody at the same time, in equal measure. Blue Valentine
14. Hello. How 'bout that ride in? I guess that's why they call it Sin City. You guys might not know this, but I consider myself a bit of a loner. I tend to think of myself as a one-man wolf pack. But when my sister brought Doug home, I knew he was one of my own. And my wolf pack... it grew by one. So there... there were two of us in the wolf pack... I was alone first in the pack, and then Doug joined in later. And six months ago, when Doug introduced me to you guys, I thought, "Wait a second, could it be?" And now I know for sure, I just added two more guys to my wolf pack. Four of us wolves, running around the desert together, in Las Vegas, looking for strippers and cocaine. So tonight, I make a toast! The Hangover


15. If you wake up at a different time, in a different place, could you wake up as a different person? Fight Club
16. Power is when we have every justification to kill, and we don't. That's what the Emperor said. A man steals something, he's brought in before the Emperor, he throws himself down on the ground. He begs for his life, he knows he's going to die. And the Emperor... pardons him. This worthless man, he lets him go. That's power, Amon. That is power. Schindler's List
17. Fuck this shit, I'm getting the bazooka! Kick-Ass
18. You are probably going to be a very successful computer person. But you're going to go through life thinking that girls don't like you because you're a nerd. And I want you to know, from the bottom of my heart, that that won't be true. It'll be because you're an asshole. The Social Network
19. Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
20. Memory can change the shape of a room; it can change the color of a car. And memories can be distorted. They're just an interpretation, they're not a record, and they're irrelevant if you have the facts. Memento
21. You can't join Mathletes, it's social suicide! Mean Girls
22. I don't know how to tell you this, but... there's a Chinese family in our bathroom. (500) Days of Summer
23. Tell it to the cleaning lady on Monday. Because you'll be dust by Monday... because you'll be pulverized in two seconds. The cleaning lady? She cleans up... dust. She dusts. 'Cause... it's Friday now, she's the weekends off, so... Monday, right? Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
24. Great balls of fire. Don't bother me anymore, and don't call me sugar. Gone with the Wind


25. You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
26. Now Woody, he's been my pal for as long as I can remember. He's brave, like a cowboy should be. And kind, and smart. But the thing that makes Woody special, is he'll never give up on you... ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what. Toy Story 3
27. You went upstairs? Why didn't you just crawl into bed with her ask a bedtime story? The Devil Wears Prada
28. *I'm* the only "cause" I'm interested in. Casablanca
29. Men get such hardons from putting their names on things. You guys don't grow up. It's like you need to pee on everything. Up in the Air
30. You, my friend, are a victim of disorganized thinking. You are under the unfortunate impression that just because you run away you have no courage; you're confusing courage with wisdom. The Wizard of Oz
31. Plastic little spastic. Hairspray
32. You're just some guy who made me laugh at a party once. Revolutionary Road
33. Oh, you think you're so special because you get to play Picture Pages up there? Well, my five year old daughter could do that and let me tell you, she's not the brightest bulb in the tanning bed. So why don't you go back to night school in Mantino and learn a real trade. Juno
34. Studying is hard and boring. Teaching is hard and boring. So, what you're telling me is to be bored, and then bored, and finally bored again, but this time for the rest of my life? This whole stupid country is bored! There's no life in it, or color, or fun! It's probably just as well the Russians are going to drop a nuclear bomb on us any day now. So my choice is to do something hard and boring, or to marry my... Jew, and go to Paris and Rome and listen to jazz, and read, and eat good food in nice restaurants, and have fun! It's not enough to educate us anymore Ms. Walters. You've got to tell us why you're doing it. An Education


35. What lingered after them was not life, but the most trivial list of mundane facts: a clock ticking on a wall, a room dim at noon, and the outrageousness of a human being thinking only of herself. The Virgin Suicides
36. Just get through the goddamn day. A Single Man
37. Memories are wonderful things, if you don't have to deal with the past. Before Sunset
38. I feel something important is happening around me. And it scares me. Three Colours: Red
39. Deliberate cruelty is unforgivable, and the one thing of which I have never,ever been guilty of. A Streetcar Named Desire
40. They are poems that just occur to him on the spot. Last night he said to me, "Dawn, your face is a brilliant moon in my empty room. Your love is like a beating drum. Ba bum ba bum ba bum ba bum." Waitress
41. It has nothing to do with Satan, Mama. It's me. Me. If I concentrate hard enough, I can move things. Carrie
42. And you, pose as a playwright? A situation pregnant with possibilities and all you can think of is everybody go to sleep. All About Eve
43. I never did like the idea of sitting on newspapers. I did it once, and all the headlines came off on my white pants. On the level! It actually happened. Nobody bought a paper that day. They just followed me around over town and read the news on the seat of my pants. It Happened One Night
44. Not everything comes along just when we want it. There are times when decisions just have to be made, or you certainly will miss out. Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day


45. You have a wonderful sense of humor. I wish I had a sense of humor, but I can never think of the right thing to say until everybody's gone home. My Man Godfrey
46. When a man is wrestling a leopard in the middle of a pond, he's in no position to run. Bringing Up Baby
47. Strange, isn't it? Each man's life touches so many other lives. When he isn't around he leaves an awful hole, doesn't he? It's a Wonderful Life
48. I'm going to be on television! Requiem for a Dream
49. The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return. Moulin Rouge!
50. I drink your milkshake! There Will be Blood
51. Do what I do: Imagine the audience naked. The Muppets
52. Nothing can hurt us now. What we have can't be destroyed. That's our victory - our victory over the dark. It is a victory because we're not afraid. Dark Victory
53. You're dumber than you think I think you are. Chinatown
54. You see, friendship is more than one person constantly doing favors for the another. Strange Days


55. I want to be perfect. Black Swan
56. Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled. The Prestige
57. Whatever happened to chivalry? Does it only exist in 80's movies? I want John Cusack holding a boombox outside my window. I wanna ride off on a lawnmower with Patrick Dempsey. I want Jake from Sixteen Candles waiting outside the church for me. I want Judd Nelson thrusting his fist into the air because he knows he got me. Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie, preferably one with a really awesome musical number for no apparent reason. But no, no, John Hughes did not direct my life. Easy A
58. It had never occurred to me that our lives, so closely interwoven, could unravel with such speed. If I'd known, maybe I'd have kept tighter hold of them. Never Let Me Go
59. You're a fucking inanimate object! In Bruges
60. Well you figure, you sleep one-third of your life, that knocks out eight years of marriage right there. Lost in Translation
61. Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
62. You've done some bad things, sweetie. Animal Kingdom
63. What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you. Magnolia
64. I decided to stop pitying myself. Other than my eye, two things aren't paralyzed, my imagination and my memory. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly


65. Why does Noddy have a bell on his hat? 'Cause he's a cunt! Cemetery Junction
66. It's a business lie, it's different from a life lie. Sunshine Cleaning
67. Everyone has one thing they're good at. I've always been stupid, but I'm good at this. Breaking the Waves
68. Fuck! Seriously? It's like you're Photoshopped! Crazy, Stupid, Love.
69. People get hurt. There's only so much we can do to protect ourselves, our children. The only thing we can do is be there for each other when we do fall down to pick each other up. Trust
70. Maybe I'm spending too much of my time starting up clubs and putting on plays. I should probably be trying harder to score chicks. Rushmore
71. I think the world would be better without Dogville. Dogville
72. I just missed your heart. Hanna
73. You are more beautiful than Cinderella! You smell like pine needles, and have a face like sunshine! Bridesmaids
74. Wait for the crème. Inglourious Basterds


75. Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies. The Shawshank Redemption
76. I'm handsome even when I sleep? Enchanted
77. I'm like cat here, a no-name slob. We belong to nobody, and nobody belongs to us. We don't even belong to each other. Breakfast at Tiffany's
78. You're great at creating difficult situations. Rear Window
79. Show me all the blueprints. Show me all the blueprints. Show me all the blueprints... show me all the blueprints... show me all the blueprints... show me all the blueprints... The Aviator
80. You know, I've been thinking. Everything is... just comes together. It's me. I chose this. I chose all this. This rock... this rock has been waiting for me my entire life. It's entire life, ever since it was a bit of meteorite a million, billion years ago. In space. It's been waiting, to come here. Right, right here. I've been moving towards it my entire life. The minute I was born, every breath that I've taken, every action has been leading me to this crack on the out surface. 127 Hours
81. That's my wife, Carolyn. See the way the handle on her pruning shears matches her gardening clogs? That's not an accident. American Beauty
82. You is kind. You is smart. You is important. The Help
83. Slowly things return to normal and life goes on. People do what they did before as best as they can. Within a few weeks taste becomes a distant memory and different sensations takes its place. Perfect Sense
84. Wherever you are, I will find you and I will bring you home. War Horse


85. Audiences don't know somebody sits down and writes a picture; they think the actors make it up as they go along. Sunset Blvd.
86. The last time we talked, Mr. Dodd, you reduced me to tears. I promise you, it won't happen again. The Country Girl
87. I don't read the script. The script reads me. Tropic Thunder
88. I doubt you've ever taken a stupid breath. Don't start now. L.A. Confidential
89. We would have injected vitamin C if only they had made it illegal! Trainspotting
90. Hello, little guy! It's the sweetie man coming! District 9
91. You've got an old fashioned idea divorce is something that lasts forever, 'til death do us part.' Why divorce doesn't mean anything nowadays, Hildy, just a few words mumbled over you by a judge. His Girl Friday
92. Oh, we're going to talk about me again, are we? Goody. The Philadelphia Story
93. It couldn't be that you're afraid, afraid somebody'd insult me and you'd find it necessary to defend me. Jezebel
94. We all need discipline. You said yourself they're like children. Without discipline we should all behave like children. Black Narcissus


95. I'd imagine the whole world was one big machine. Machines never come with any extra parts, you know. They always come with the exact amount they need. So I figured, if the entire world was one big machine, I couldn't be an extra part. I had to be here for some reason. Hugo
96. But again, truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty you need only look into a mirror. V for Vendetta
97. The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug. The Hurt Locker
98. I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you. Taken
99. Because I have a right to be heard. I have a voice! The King's Speech
100. Are we married yet? Beginners

Do you have any quotes that you have learned from? Do you know many of these?

20 comments:

  1. What a great list. Much better than the disorganised mess that was mine. Some fantastic picks here. You also astonishingly picked my favourite line from AMERICAN BEAUTY, a film filled with great lines. I am also very grateful for the appearance of THREE COLOURS: RED. I've taught you well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your one wasn't that bad! And American Beauty has so many great lines...but I had to laugh at that, since I know people like that. And yes, you have taught me well.

      Delete
  2. Uh crap! I HAVE to do this now. Another Sunday afternoon wasted! :P
    No these are lovely. I love quotes. I love the ones I know and remember, and am going to google the ones I don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took up my entire Sunday afternoon! I didn't even get to read the sequel to The Hunger Games! But then again, I really can't be bothered reading at the moment...I'm so bad at it.

      Delete
  3. Phew, just did mine! It certainly takes a while! Heheheh, I definitely know what number 100 is :) I think I actually picked some of the same quotes as you (I finished mine before I read yours - woopsie!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours is great! And it doesn't matter...great quotes are to be shared by everyone!

      Delete
  4. 74...yes! Love that scene. Awesome list, really good choices here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, same, it always makes me want to have apple strudel! And thank you for the idea!

      Delete
  5. Ever since people wondered if someone said that "You is kind. You is smart. You is important. " to Davis after losing Oscar that quote just always makes me laugh :P Love the list, especially that quote from Quiz Show and the fact you included Styrange Days it's such an underrated movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's quite funny! I like that quote because it brought me to tears in the film :'( Quiz Show and Strange Days are the best!

      Delete
  6. Many great things, but the Benjamin Button bit stands out because I think that movie is lovely and so few seem to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thinking yesterday about how much I love that film and I have to wonder why many other people don't. It is so beautiful.

      Delete
  7. I love quotes, as well, but your list just made me realised I have not seen enough movies, especially since I don't recognise some of them! Damn, I better get started, I have a lot of catching up to do :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry - I haven't seen nearly as many films as I should have!

      Delete
  8. That's because I like classic movies :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. its very interesting and informative I enjoyed reading this post. Thank you for sharing.

    pakistani designer sherwani

    ReplyDelete
  10. Certain substantial loss of information and love of PCs reported from the edges of world. So be watchful before downloading the records from the web. Indeed, even you ought to more wary about spyware adware and so forth. getmovies.to

    ReplyDelete

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails