Sunday, June 5, 2011

10 2011 Movies I Want to See

This is a totally unoriginal idea for a post, but since I've been so slack with my movie-watching lately (it's only going to get more slack this week since I have intense rehearsals as stage challenge nears), I'm running out of options. Anyway, this is a handy idea because there are so many movies I want to see, but I'm not sure about the ones that I want to make any special effort to see. And my first list I made at the start of the year was pretty much useless, as Sucker Punch topped that one. No, I didn't go and see that movie in the cinemas. Yes, I have lost all interest in it.


30 Minutes or Less - Jesse Eisenberg. From awkward geek to Oscar nominee within one year of being a household name. But what happens after the 27 year old that no-one expected big things from gets an Oscar nomination for his brilliant performance as Mark Zuckerberg in The Social Network? Well, he's gotten more cats. But Jesse ain't looking to put himself out there as the best actor in the world just yet. Instead, he's reteamed with Zombieland director Ruben Fleischer for a comedy about a pizza delivery guy who's forced to rob a bank otherwise he'll be blown up. Sound stupid? It's a true story. And you know how Hollywood is with the true stories. I imagine Jesse will be up for a second Oscar nomination with this one.


50/50 - The trailer for this just hit the webbie and people seem to like what they see. So do I. I mean, first of all, it has the great Joseph Gordon-Levitt in it. And when you have Joey around in your flick these days, he can do no wrong. The rest of the cast is pretty top-notch too. I like the idea that Seth Rogen is the buddy in this movie, which means he is kinda back to the guy he was before he got all famous and such...the funny buddy. Anna Kendrick is also impressive and so is Bryce Dallas Howard. Plus, it's directed by Jonathan Levine, who did some brilliant work with The Wackness. I'm expecting big things, and I hope it can deliver.


Crazy, Stupid, Love - The trailer for this was very promising. Really, the cast itself it very promising. Steve Carrell, Ryan Gosling, Julianne Moore, Emma Stone, Marisa Tomei, Kevin Bacon...that's like, acting heaven. You can't tell me that all of these great people came together for a bad movie, can you? Well I certainly hope not. Anyway, if it fails, Ryan Gosling is still pretty hot and there are two redheads in this movie.


The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Okay, so last year I had major spazzes over Inception and I was just so excited to see it every time I heard that name uttered I'd go into cardiac arrest. I think I've found this year's Inception in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I must have watched that trailer like 50 gazillion times now. But the sad thing is that this doesn't come out in NZ until 26th January 2012. So technically, this is my most anticipated for 2012. Anyway, it's a 2011 release, so I'll keep having heart attacks over it all throughout the year.


Hanna - Yeah, all of you people are probably like "you should have seen that already!" Truth is, it should have been released here in less than a couple of weeks time. But no, some idiots decided it would be a good idea to release it here on September 1st. Smooth, guys, real smooth. Just under three months until I get to see Saoirse Ronan kicking ass, Cate Blanchett being a red-head, Eric Bana being all violent and my queen Olivia Williams? Yeah, I love you too.


The Help - Okay, I admit, I feel as if this movie was made decades ago. But have you seen the red-heads that are in this? Emma Stone. Bryce Dallas Howard. Jessica Chastain. Red-heads! Plus, there's Sissy Spacek, Viola Davis, Anna Camp and Allison Janney. This has a strong female cast, and damn, I've been waiting a long time for a strong female cast. I also think that Emma Stone will impress with this movie. She'll prove that she can be a strong dramatic actress, hopefully, and continue to wow us with her charm.


Melancholia - Yeah, yeah, yeah. This will be branded as 'that movie directed by that Jew who thinks he's a Nazi'. While Cannes banned Lars von Trier's ass from their show, I'm glad they didn't cut his film from contention. Because it looks freaking awesome. Strange, but awesome. Kristen Dunst is making her big comeback, and this film has made sure that she's welcome again. Oh, and I think it's worth mentioning that there are two SkarsgÄrd's in this film: Stellan and Alexander. I have a strange infatuation with these two. Stellan just seems like an all-round great guy and Alexander might just be the sexiest man alive (that's what happenswhen you watch True Blood all week, folks).


Midnight in Paris - I ain't the hugest fan of Woody Allen. All of his recent works have been kinda 'meh'. However, his latest, Midnight in Paris, got some fantastic reviews. Which I thought was unlikely, since he teamed up with Owen Wilson. But no, apparently this one is splendid. The cast looks splendid, too. Rachel McAdams, Michael Sheen, Carla Bruni, Adrien Brody, Kathy Bates, Marion Cotillard...it all looks divine. I'm sure I'll like this one, even if I ain't the hugest fan of Woody.


In Time - First it was called I'm.Mortal. Then it was called Now. And now it is called In Time. I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the title again. Anyway, even though there hasn't been a trailer or much publicity for this movie yet, I'm excited. Sure, 95% of that comes down to the fact that Cillian Murphy is in it and in that picture he looks like the most excellent brand of bad-assery. The other 5% of my excitement over this movie comes down to Olivia Wilde, Justin Timberlake and Amanda Seyfried. The story sounds cool too...it's set in a world where no-one can go over the age of 25. Yeah, most people would want that world to be real.


The Tree of Life - I'm sure I have no right to be excited over this, since I haven't seen any of Terrence Malick's other work, but it looks fantastic. I just love watching movies which just observe life. From what I've read, this movie has everything from dinosaurs to wordly shots to mean fathers. It sounds as interesting as anything. What makes it even more interesting is the fact that it won the Palme D'Or at Cannes even though many people gave it the 'boo' treatment. Now that is interesting.

Well, there's my list. What are you looking forward to for the rest of this year?

14 comments:

  1. I have some of the same movies I want to see in this list, but I think I should check out this 50/50 and Crazy, Stupid, Love. Thanks for the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good list. It always surprises me when people talking about Jesse Eisenberg coming out of nowhere, though, since he was possibly my favorite part of The Squid and the Whale. When I saw it, I kept thinking, "Can't wait to see what that kid does next." I'm delighted that he's mostly broken out of the "isn't he Michael Cera?" mold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really good list... few stuff there that's in my list too. I saw Hanna... it was fun! Saoirse Ronan really is some great actress-in-making. I highly doubt Eisenberg will get a nomination though. The year is jam-packed with stuff like A Dangerous Method, Ides of March etc. Still, I can see 30 Minutes being a very entertaining film.
    One film, that is at the top pf my list of course Hsrry Potter... you should try the series out some day.
    Ah Crazy Stupid Love... Ryan G.'s photoshopped body and all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In spite of being unoriginal, such posts are bloody interesting and I bet they get more traffic than usual reviews. I love the style of The Help! Overall, each movie you mentioned looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really good list. If I end 2011 having seen all of these films, I think I will feel pretty good about the year...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should probably watch at least one Malick film before seeing The Tree of Life. In some ways, the trailer is very representative of what the film will be like, in other ways, it's not going to be what you expect at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never heard of In Time or Melancholia, but as for all the others - I definitely want to see them too, nice list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm looking forward to Melancholia the most, mainly because I'm such a huge fan of Lars von Trier. Have you seen any of his movies? There are two you'd probably like:

    Dancer in the Dark (2001) (WARNING: Bring Kleenex.)

    Dogville (2003) (WARNING: Expect the unexpected.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Midnight in Paris is pretty delightful. Especially Alison Pill.

    -Simon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andina - You're welcome!

    Hannah - I know for a fact that Jesse didn't come out of nowhere, but a lot of people think that. I guess it's just exciting that he came out of nowhere and got nominated for an Oscar, if you know what I mean? I think he's better than Michael Cera anyway :)

    Nikhat - I was joking when I said I thought Eisenberg would get a nomination. There's no way in hell he'll get in there.
    Ryan Gosling's photoshopped body...aaaaaahhhhhh.

    Lesya - This has been getting a little bit of traffic! The Help looks awesome, can't wait to see it!

    Andy - I'm thinking the same.

    James - I have a while before The Tree of Life comes out, so I'll be checking out some Malick flicks before then, no doubt.

    Maria Sofia - Thanks!

    magnoliaforever - I haven't seen any von Trier movies (that I can remember), but I'll be checking out those ones!

    Simon - I saw Alison Pill is in it! She's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stevee: The Tree of Life is a movie you could easily walk out of after 20 minutes. Or it could easily be the most beautiful film you will ever see. No I didn't mean to scare you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm the type of person who sticks with a movie, no matter how hard it is to watch. I'm sure I'll find something good in The Tree of Life!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Agreed about checking out Malick's stuff beforehand.

    Even though I wasn't really into Badlands (don't get me wrong, it's an amazing film and looks beautiful - I just didn't connect with it, no matter how excellent it was), Malick does have this 'auteur' like quality to him (and kind of defines the word.)

    Like your list, though. A couple I probably won't check out, but anything with JGL in it and I am down.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Badlands was the one I was going to go to first (big Sissy Spacek fan). But by the time The Tree of Life comes out here, I would have had enough time to watch each of Malick's films at least 20 times.

    Any movie has me at JGL.

    ReplyDelete

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails