Saturday, April 9, 2011

Listing My Love - 100 Things I Love About Movies


I saw this idea on the excellent film blog The Dark of the Matinee (if you don't follow this blog, what is wrong with you?!) and decided to take the idea for myself. That makes two 'meme' type things in a week. But I think this one may just be the awesomest one circling the web at the moment. So, *deep breath*, here is a list of the 100 things I love about the movies that take up all my spare time. The full list is after the jump.

1. Knowing the piracy ad at the start of every DVD I watch off by heart.

2. The words 'A Film by __________' coming up on the screen.

3. Guessing the trailers before movies at the cinemas.


4. Christopher frickin' Nolan

5. Christian Bale's dramatic weight loss and gain for every role he takes.

6. Big crane shots.

7. Black and white movies.

8. When the screen goes black at the end.

9. Little funny lines in otherwise serious movies.

10. Mila Kunis' voice.


11. R-rated comedies.

12. Posters.

13. Costumes in any movie.

14. Psychological thrillers.


15. Movies told out of chronological order.

16. Leonardo DiCaprio being a sad-ass.

17. Watching movies I'm not legally allowed to watch because of age restrictions.

18. Not watching movies in 3D.

19. Interesting camera angles.

20. Crying at movies.

21. Amy Adams being gorgeous.


22. Any redheads in film, actually.

23. Comic book movies.

24. Only reading books after I've seen the movie.

25. Darren Aronofsky constantly fucking my life up.

26. Ambiguous endings.

27. Underrated actors and actresses, i.e Rebecca Hall, Aaron Eckhart.

28. Feeling like a different person for about half an hour after I watch a movie.

29. Slow-mo that actually fits a movie.

30. Lots of editing.

31. One-liners.

32. The end speech in The Dark Knight.

33. In fact, whenever the title hits at the end of any Chris Nolan movie. That literally lifts my spirit so high I could have a heart attack.

34. Listening to The Social Network soundtrack whilst typing and feeling like Mark Zuckerberg.

35. The first moment I see Andrew Garfield in a movie.

36. Not being scared in 'horror movies'.

37. Nice action sequences.

38. Bio-pics.

39. Displaying movies I like more prominently on any shelf I come across.


40. Oscar time!

41. Knowing a movie off by heart.

42. Turning Kick-Ass into a musical because I know the soundtrack so well.

43. Vera Farmiga making any movie worthy.


44. The beauty of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

45. Blasting '528491' from the Inception soundtrack through my headphones with my eyes closed. It's epic, try it.

46. Product placements.

47. Jesse Eisenberg being awkward in everything.

48. "Mommy, I want a Kick-Ass party. Dumb little fucks."

49. All the Tumblr fandom certain movies get.

50. Knowing useless facts because of movies.

51. Jeremy Renner being a bad-ass.

52. Anything by Quentin Tarantino.


53. Dystopian movies.

54. 'The Trolley Song' in Meet Me in St. Louis.

55. "Oh my God Karen, you can't just ask people why they're white."

56. Humphrey Bogart.

57. The end of Requiem for a Dream.

58. Finding out the truth in Fight Club.

59. Applying lines from Scott Pilgrim vs. the World in everyday situations.

60. Cillian Murphy's eyes.

61. Musicals.

62. Taking the piss out of movies I really dislike.

63. Anything Marlon Brando.

64. Crossing the threshold in Let the Right One In.

65. PIXAR movies.

66. Bette Davis.

67. The evolution of Scarlett O'Hara in Gone with the Wind.

68. Watching a crap load of movies when I'm sick...I can't wait to get my tonsils out for that reason.


69. The titles in (500) Days of Summer.

70. The final chapter of Inglourious Basterds.

71. Danny Boyle movies.

72. Michael Caine popping up in Chris Nolan movies.

73. Alfred Hitchcock cameos.

74. 80s comedies.

75. Characters who aren't all there in the head.


76. Vivien Leigh's eyebrow raise.

77. "Oooh, that's a bingo!"

78. Non-annoying child stars, i.e Chloe Moretz, Hailee Steinfeld, Saoirse Ronan.

79. The first big break an awesome actor gets.

80. British movies.

81. Swedish movies.

82. Loving Tangled more than my appropriately aged niece.

83. The Bat-Pod.

84. Car chase scenes in movies which make me realize that I'm a better skilled driver than most people.

85. Being able to recite the entire 'You have part of my attention...' speech from The Social Network.

86. Actors who break their stereotypes and get nominated for an Oscar for it.

87. Seeing characters reduced to nothing.

88. Rachel McAdams being a cutie pie.


89. Emily Blunt in The Devil Wears Prada.

90. Nice accents.

91. Secondary characters who steal the show.

92. Awesome music in bad movies, ie TRON: Legacy.

93. Anne Hathaway's smile.

94. Actors who can sing and dance as well.


95. Mirrors in movies.

96. Jenny in An Education.

97. Really, actual funny movies.

98. Movies made by fashion designers (okay, only A Single Man, really...)

99. The hitch-hiking scene in It Happened One Night.

100. Being totally in love with movies that nearly nothing else matters.

12 comments:

  1. This list is beautiful. Very very very beautiful.

    P.S. I can recite teh 'You have part of my attention..' speech too!

    P.P.S. Stevee, I'm not going to NZ for my school trip because the Christchurch earthquake is giving some fears to the parents. Which is odd because we can just go to Auckland or something. But oh well, it's decided that NZ is out so..I guess you're gonna mail it to me.. ><

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! These are the things I love too-

    2, 3, 4, 5 (he should stop now- I get scared), 7, 8, 9, 11, 12 (!!), 13, 14, 15 (Love), 16 (he should stop that too- RomCom time Leo!), Ha, I used to do 17 all the time, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 (I am obsessed with redheads, where's Rupert and Woody??), 23 (Definitely), Sorta 24 because I like both ways, 25, 26 (except in Gone with the Wind- how that film infuriates me!), 27, 28 (Oh Fight Club!), 30 (Done properly- nothing Mr. Brainwash-y), 32!, 35 (He's mine, MINE I TELL YA!!), 37, 38, 40 (And feeling absolutely disgusted after), 46, 47 (Awwwww), 49, 50 (like how to rob banks,yes?!), 52 FTW, 53, 54 (Clang Clang Clang), 55 (Your mother's chest hair!), 56, 58 (changed my life really), 59 (I'm in lesbians with you), 60 (and Jared Leto's), 61, 64, 65!, 69 (genius), 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 77!!, 78 (The Harry Potter Kids were AWESOME), 79, 80, 85 (Also, one musn't do that infront of people who haven't watched it as then you get the death stares), 86, 87, 89 (!!), 90 (Death), 91 (All the time), 93, 94, 95, 98, 100 (Definitely all the time).

    I will do this list too, as soon as I get internet in India.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could comment on many of these entries... but it would take a too long time. Many things about Nolan films are cool.

    And I second that there's something wrong with those who don't read the Hatter's blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Celine - Thanks! And yay, someone is just like me! Oh, and I was going to send the poster over anyway. I just took it down. I'll send you a message on Facebook and we'll get it sorted.

    Nikhat - Wow, insightful comment! And no, Andrew Garfield is MINE!
    You're in India? Wow.

    Lesya - Ha, it would. Nolan films are awesome, no matter what.
    Hatter's blog is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The very best thing is to be in love with movies, right? They make you laugh, cry, forget the world, think about the world, fall in love, entertain you whenever you're sick/sad/in love/bored and on and on... Nothing else matters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally agree with you there, movies are amazing! I don't know where I would be without them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow great list Stevee, I could almost say I agree with the entire list, which is quite uncanny.

    We have made our own list on AM if you have any interest ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! And that is quite uncanny. Thanks for reminding me to check it out, that was a great list too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Surprised to see you love product placement. I don't like it.

    Inspired by your list I wrote a list of 50 things I don't like about films (although there is way more to love than to dislike):
    http://myfilmviews.wordpress.com/2011/04/13/50-things-i-dont-like-about-movies/

    ReplyDelete
  10. My list of 50 things I love about films is up now as well:

    http://myfilmviews.wordpress.com/2011/04/14/50-things-i-love-about-movies/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant post! I found myself agreeing with nearly everything you have listed! Especially the guessing the trailers in the cinema!

    ReplyDelete

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails