Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Sex and the City: The Movie

When I first watched Sex and the City: The Movie all the way back in 2008, I really really enjoyed it. But that was back when I didn't have a clue on how to rate a movie (I think the smartest thing I ever did was rate The Dark Knight 10/10). Yeah, it's a yummy chick flick, but seriously? 8/10? What was I thinking?!

Following on from the popular TV show Sex and the City, we are looking into the lives of four best friends living in New York: fashionista and writer Carrie Bradshaw (Sarah Jessica Parker); preppy and organized Charlotte York (Kristin Davis); sex-loving cougar Samantha Jones (Kim Cattrall) and working mother Miranda Hobbes (Cynthia Nixon). Carrie is getting married to her man Mr. Big (Chris Noth), but when he leaves her jilted on her wedding day, Carrie has to figure out what to do with her life next.
I really do like to watch chick flicks. Only for their entertainment, because I know that none of them offer anything that my real cinematic mind can really chew on. I guess that's why I 'liked' it so much back in the day. However, despite it's entertainment factor, this movie makes middle aged women look stereotypical and whiny. Sure, I desperately want cool gal pals like Carrie, Charlotte, Samantha and Miranda. But they sure would get a little annoying.
The film shamelessly parades the fact that this is a movie for women. I kind of found it disturbing how a man created this and directed all of those slow mo shots of a naked guy showering. I have never watched the TV show, and probably never will, so I missed a lot of character development which was missing in this film (probably for a good reason, too). Despite it's general fluffiness and flaws, I still found it immensely entertaining and somewhat worth my time. I never thought I would say that. I do admit that I am jealous of the insanely awesome wardrobe they have going on. And I will be watching the second film when it comes out on DVD...even though I know it's going to be complete and utter crap.

The Godmother of all chick flicks...did we actually need one of those?


6/10

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sex and the City 2 Private Screening Party is one of the proud of Boston. Boston is one of the top 10 sex city. To enjoy your life you can use the pure Penchant Premium Lube.

    ReplyDelete

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails