Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Kick-Ass

Yes, 2010 has been a real crap year for the big movies (on the other hand, Indie films are doing tremendously well). But, aside from Inception, Kick-Ass is a great example of why we as viewers should still have faith in the big movies. And it's further proof that the comic-book movie isn't quite dead, and charming originality can come out in the most wonderful way.
A nerdy teenager Dave Lizewski (Aaron Johnson) decides that his town deserves a superhero to fight crime on the streets just like Batman and other characters of the like. So he adopts a new persona: 'Kick-Ass', and goes out to teach some criminals a few lessons. But he soon realizes that he isn't alone; a father and daughter, Big Daddy (Nicholas Cage) and Hit-Girl (Chloe Grace Moretz) are out to get the head of a New York mafia Frank D'Amico (Mark Strong). Kick-Ass teams up with the duo, and also becomes friends with another superhero, 'Red Mist' (Christopher Mintz-Plasse), and they all try to clean up the streets, becoming real heroes in the process.
I'm guessing, if Superbad and any comic-book movie had a baby, Kick-Ass is what they would get. This movie is amazingly funny from the get-go...I was marketing it to my friends as the 'funniest movie since The Hangover,' which I think pretty much fits. This is a superhero unlike any other...it isn't made to please the Summer crowds as it has so much gore and violence in it I would imagine some people have been sick during it. Not that I mind, it's about time some real and watchable violence got stuck in a movie. It's action sequences are equally scary and uproariously funny, making for some amazing entertainment.
I wonder if some people, after watching this movie, would go and be a superhero. I know it would be super dangerous (as demonstrated in this movie), but even I am inspired to don a crazy outfit and run around town. The characters are all colourful...this is the first movie I have ever seen where I have actually liked Nicholas Cage. Aaron Johnson is now my latest guy-crush, and it's kinda hard to believe that he was the 'Sex-God' in Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging a while ago. This guy is definitely one to watch. As for Chloe Grace Moretz...she has just become more than that smart-ass from (500) Days of Summer.
Trust me, you will be so entertained by this movie. It's funny, violent, amazing, and even pretty sad at the end. All you'll want to do after it is go and get a cool scuba diving suit and go fight crime.

One of the best films I have seen this year (so far)...uproariously entertaining. A definite must-see (unless you are pretty sensitive to violence).
10/10

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your review Stevee. I recently bought Kick-Ass on DVD and loved it. It's awesome and one of the best movies I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness someone agrees with me! I bought it too and ended up watching it everyday for a week. It's so addictive and just all round great!

    ReplyDelete

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails