Sunday, August 29, 2010

Breakfast On Pluto

Oh, I forgot to inform you all that this was Cillian Murphy week, which will probably run into next week too. I have watched quite a few of his films, and for a diverse actor, the film that he surprised me in the most was Breakfast on Pluto, a.k.a. the film where he plays a dude who wants to be a chick. I watched the trailer a while ago and knew I had to see it (despite some pretty negative reviews), because it looked quite dark and emotional. However, this is a case of not judging a movie by it's trailer.
Set in the 1970's, the story follows the exploits of Patrick 'Kitten' Braden (Cillian Murphy), an endearing, but deceptively tough young man. Abandones as a baby in his small Irish hometown and aware from a very early age that he is different, Patrick survives this harsh environment with the aid of his wit and charm, plus a sweet refusal to let anyone and anything change who he is.
Cillian Murphy made this movie with his own bare, perfectly manicured hands. He embodies the role of Kitten so much that I can't even begin to believe that he is the same Cillian Murphy that was in the likes of Inception and Batman Begins. He should have got a lot more acclaim for his performance then he did. It still bugs me now that he was a better looking woman than I will ever be. Are you sure he wasn't doubled?
However, despite Cillian's amazing performance, this film doesn't seem to go that far in it's 135 minute run-time. It just shows the life of Kitten, which I guess is quite interesting, especially living in the times of the I.R.A. But the people he/she meets in his life don't seem that important as this is really a showcase for Cillian. I guess Brendan Gleeson as the womble was quite funny though. The movie, like it's protagonist, doesn't take itself or the world too seriously, and I would have liked to see a bit more drama. What it achieves, or rather, what Cillian achieves, is outstanding and severely underrated...I enjoyed this movie a lot, as I'm sure other Cillian fans will. He is a very pretty girl.

A film carried by a fantastic performance from Cillian Murphy, and a few other small things...
7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails